Camp fire special!! Part 1

Writing this post is bittersweet to me. Why, you might ask? Well I left the blog, twitter, and other implements that we use to keep us going in the hands of my trusted contributors 4 days ago. I turned 21 again on the 19th of August and my friends and I decided that we want to celebrate another way rather than just going out and partying. I - a camping newbie to say the least - spent the last 4 days in the wilderness cooking over an open fire, gathering wood, and cutting it down to size with only a hatchet! So what I write here is just 2 of the creations that I came about while camping. I hope you one day will spend a few days out in the woods - hiking, biking, and sleeping on the ground. It's a joy, and relief to disconnect from the world and just be you. This officially marks the end of my summer, and will be moving back to my campus by the end of the week. But don't fear I will stay here! Without further ado, I present to you: Campfire Foil Dinners!

I apologize for not having a picture, my camera was dead.

Here's what you'll need:
  • Tinfoil
  • Ground Meat
  • Potatoes
  • Carrots
  • Onions
  • Garlic
  • A splash of oil if on hand
  • A CAMPFIRE!! (It's kinda important)
Optional:
  • Garlic Powder
  • Onion Powder
  • Meat Tenderizer
  • Seasoned Salt

First, lets wash the vegetables as best you can, with whatever clean water source you have. Don't worry about peeling anything, we're going rustic here! Spread out a fairly large piece of tinfoil onto your campsite table and if you have a bit of oil lightly grease the bottom. The next thing you will want to do is to grab your ground meat and press it flatly down on the tinfoil, leaving ample room on the edges. Next cut up the all veggies into small almost bite sized chunks and throw those on top of the meat. I unlike other campers had several spices - I mean, common.. I want full flavor! - including onion and garlic powder, meat tenderizer, and seasoned salt. I sprinkled each of those on the meat and veggies along with a bit more oil. I then tried my best to enclose the tinfoil packet with more foil.... After successfully putting 3 pieces of foil around it, I won the battle. I then placed (don't throw like usual it might break) this packet into the hot embers of the fire and let it sit. I fashioned a turning device with sticks and flipped the food every 5 minutes. After several flips, the meat was fully cooked and the veggies were amazingly soft and tender. I had myself a hot, delicious dinner. Cut open that foil, place it on the picnic table, and dig in.
Enjoy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...