California Chicken Salad

Can I just say that I LOVE this chicken salad, and so does everyone who puts it in their mouths. I was in San Diego and ordered it as a side dish...for breakfast...don't judge me...and tried to replicate it as soon as I got home. I turned mine into a SAMMICH!



My preferred way to enjoy is by making it on a whole wheat bun with sliced tomato and fresh romaine lettuce.

What you'll need:

  • Chicken tenderloins
  • 1/2 cup Light Sour Cream
  • 1 tblsp Light Mayo
  • Celery
  • Cucumber
  • Dried Dill
  • Salt 
  • Pepper
  • 2 Garlic cloves
Make it:

Boil a medium size pot of water. Add salt, pepper, and the two sliced cloves of garlic. Bring it to a boil and add the chicken. Let this cook until done, approximately 10-15 minutes. Boiling the chicken will keep it juicy and the salt, pepper, and garlic will inject flavor.

In the mixing bowl:
We will use 1/2 of the cucumber. Peel it and then de-seed it. To de-seed: cut it long ways and then take a spoon to scoop out the seeds. Dice up the peeled and de-seeded cucumber into tiny cubes. 
Chop up 1 stalk of celery into fine cubes as well
Add 1/2 cup of light sour cream along with the light mayo
Add a large pinch of dried dill seasoning. I tried this recipe with fresh dill and actually liked it less than I did when using dried dill seasoning. 
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Mix this all up and let it chill in the refrigerator while we work on cutting up all this chicken.

Once the chicken is cooked, drain it and chop it up into small cubes, or shred it. However you prefer. Let it cool slightly before adding to the mixing bowl. 

Mix everything together and taste test until the salt/pepper/dill ratio is right and then its ready to be chilled. 

Served chilled and enjoy :)

Other options: Add craisins! Also, I learned through forum content by some gracious users that greek yogurt could replace the mayo.  SUCH a great idea! I'll update when I find out for myself!


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...